I know it’s cliché but I received my first camera when I was a kid. I still have the camera - a Kodak Instamatic - and the pictures I took with it. However, my true love of photography was sparked in 1990, when I acquired my first SLR. Self-taught, I developed my skills with film cameras and traditional darkrooms before transitioning to digital in 2006. For over 25 years now, photography has been my hobby, diversion, outlet, expression, and profession.
Through my children, I initially specialized in sports action and dance photography. I worked in those two genres almost exclusively for several years. I’ve photographed several sports at different levels, including minor, high school, university, and elite. I’ve had the privilege of photographing the recitals for two of Moncton’s youth dance companies. Along the way, I've also provided editorial services for both media and government.
Currently, my efforts are concentrated in fine art landscape photography. Several of my prints have been accepted into juried exhibitions. I am the recipient of both an arts residency and an arts grant. Time permitting, I find escape and rejuvenation through long-term personal projects.
I have been teaching introductory photography since 2011, when I was first asked to facilitate a course for NBCC-Moncton. In 2016, I started offering the same course for the Town of Sackville. I also offer private lessons, introductory photo courses, and the occasional photography workshop, within the Greater Moncton area.
I live in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, where I continue to hone both my craft and my vision.
Over the past few years I have been drawn to landscape photography. I prefer to stay close to home, capturing local scenes and settings, and highlighting the natural, rugged, and inherent beauty of the Maritimes. I am particularly attracted to coastal settings, and to the merger of land, sea, and horizon. I find similar art, beauty, and solace in rural areas, especially along the Tantramar marshes.
I seek minimalism whenever possible. I look for shapes, patterns, lines, and layers that occur naturally, through human construct, or via contrast and tone. I prefer to isolate my subjects within their surroundings and, via negative space, within the final composition as well.
I sometimes rely on found subjects, discovered during random journeys of exploration. More often, I return to locations multiple times. I may be in search of specific light and weather. Or, I may wish to record a scene in various conditions, thereby demonstrating the evolution and fluidity of the subject through a static medium.
I rarely include people. Ideally, my images will evoke a sense of emptiness, loneliness, or abandonment. However, I prefer to let the audience find their own reactions and reach their own conclusions as they view my work through their lens.
Ultimately, I'm simply trying to capture my surroundings as I see them - your world, my vision, one day, and one image, at a time.
Photographer2008 - Current
Freelance photographer and visual artist specializing in fine art landscapes.
Instructor - Private2011 - Current
Offering introductory photography courses, photography workshops, and private lessons.
Instructor - Town of Sackville2016 - 2018
Introduction to Photography - eight week course for beginners.
Instructor - NBCC-Moncton2011 - 2017
Introduction to DSLR Photography - seven week course for beginners.
Juried & Group Exhibitions
- 2017 - Nonesuch Art on Paper Awards: Parrsboro, NS, and Montréal, QC
- 2017 - Town of Truro Art Acquisition Show: McCarthy Gallery, Truro, NS
- 2016 - Nonesuch Art on Paper Awards: Parrsboro, NS, and Montréal, QC
- 2016 - Annual Juried Exhibition: Moncton Gallery, Moncton, NB
- 2014 - Annual Juried Exhibition: Moncton Gallery, Moncton, NB
- 2013 - Annual Juried Exhibition: Moncton Gallery, Moncton, NB
- 2010 - Annual Juried Exhibition: Moncton Gallery, Moncton, NB
- 2008 - Annual Juried Exhibition: Moncton Gallery, Moncton, NB
- 2007 - Annual Juried Exhibition: Moncton Gallery, Moncton, NB
- 2015 - Port Bickerton Lighthouse Artist-in-Residence, Port Bickerton, NS
- 2015 - Creation C: New Brunswick Arts Board
- 2015 - Career Development AIR: New Brunswick Arts Board
- City of Moncton Collection of Fine Art
- Port Bickerton Lighthouse Association
- Private Collections: Montréal, QC; Moncton, NB
- QMi Agency
- danse DNA dance
- Université de Moncton
- NHL Images